08 March, 2006

Piccadilly Gardens 08/09/06

10 years ago Piccadilly Gardens was old fashioned but still a nice place to visit, today it is a hideous monstrosity, as is highlighted by this sculpture of a tree. What is wrong with a real fucking tree I ask you? It would have been nicer and cheaper than this hideous carbuncle. I have nothing against modern sculpture being used to brighten up our cities, the stuff of the quayside in Newcastle Upon Tyne is a good example of what can be done, but this is just shite. Whoever commissioned and paid for this needs shooting as does the artist who conceived it....

2 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

O my giddy aunt what have they done? I've not been into Manchester for months.
Here is the gardens as they were in 1998

Anonymous said...

It isn't just a piece of monstrous sculpture.. on it are engraved hundreds of names of people from Manchester who died defending their country. Its a monument to their sacrifice, and I quite like it.

Cool blog, though. I'm especially taken with the ducks ;)

Mathew